MARRIAGE LICENSES ISSUED BY APPOINTMENT ONLY! Please read below for more information.
Where should you apply?
If either applicant is a resident of the State of Georgia, the marriage license may be obtained from the Probate Court in any county in the State. If neither applicant is a resident of Georgia, the license must be obtained from the Probate Court in the county in which the ceremony is to be performed. If the marriage will take place in another state, you must contact that state for the licensing information.
What is required for the issuance of a marriage license?
- Both parties must appear in the office together.
- Each party must have a state issued photo ID or passport.
- Any party that was previously married must have a copy of the most recent divorce decree or death certificate of the previous spouse.
- The marriage license fee is $57.00 payable only in cash, money order, Visa or MasterCard. A convenience fee will apply to all cards.
– If you bring a certificate showing 6 hours of pre-marital counseling with a minister, professional counselor or social worker, the fee will be reduced to $17.00.
MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATION AND APPOINTMENTS (REQUIRED)
You must first click here to fill out the application for your marriage license. When you submit the application, you will receive a confirmation number which you will need when scheduling your appointment.
After submitting the application online, you must schedule an appointment to meet with a clerk and finalize the application, signed documents, and pay the required fees. When you come for your appointment please be on time, wear a mask, and do not bring anyone with you so that we can observe proper social distancing. Please remember this appointment is to obtain your license only, the Court is not performing marriage ceremonies at this time.
RESCHEDULING YOUR APPOINTMENT
If you need to reschedule your appointment, please use the link in your confirmation email or call the Probate Court at (770) 784-2045.
How can you obtain a certified copy of your marriage license?
After the ceremony, the original (white) license should be returned to the Probate Court in the envelope provided when you received your license. You can only obtain a copy of your marriage license from the court that issued the license. Within seven days of receiving the completed original license you can obtain a certified copy of the license at the Probate Court. You will need the name of each party, the date of the marriage, and a state issued photo ID. Certified copies are $10.00 ($1.00 for each additional copy) and can be paid for with cash, money order, Visa or MasterCard. A convenience fee will apply to all cards.